Friday, November 29, 2019

Oh my! A trip report!

I know I know...You've all been waiting, holding your breath, since July's AT trip report hoping for an insider's look at Dolly Sods.

Alas! That trip was not to be and instead, my trusty backpacking buddy and I went out gallivanting through the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey.

Aligning with our typical preparations, of course we planned and packed for the trip only days before we were set to put boots on the trail. This time was different for both of us, however, as we spoke frequently of the confidence we felt in our knowledge of what we needed without needing a checklist or anything of the like.

So what did I carry and use this time?

Sleep:
Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 degree
Thermoreactor sleeping bag liner
Sea to Summit Pillow
Toe warmers (thank you backpacking buddy!)

Active Clothes:
C9 active sweatpants
C9 loose lightweight baselayer
rain jacket
Acteryx Atom hoodie
Cotton t-shirt
C9 active boxers
Balega crew socks
REI beanie
IMAC Finisher Cap

Sleep Clothes:
C9 active running tights
Darn Tough wool socks
Heavy sweater
REI gloves
Windproof Buff

Honorable mentions not used:
C9 active baselayer extra warm pants
C9 active baselayer extra warm long sleeve

After parking and Ubering up to Atsion, we began our trek around 12:30, cold and rain gripping us tightly. The beginning of our trip was quiet with only the sound of the wind, rain, planes, and occasional Jeep breaking it. The rain opened up a world rarely seen and we were able to witness where fires had previously ravaged the area.

We arrived to Mullica River Campground around 2:45 and set right to gathering firewood. Now, here is where I will give you a little bit of advice. No matter how good of an idea it sounds at the time, do not, under any circumstance, drag a small tree several hundred feet with the intention of using it as firewood, no matter what. It sounds like a fantastic idea right? Well, it never caught fire and we both woke with screaming backs, so next time I will be passing on this, haha.

We enjoyed a beautiful sunset sitting close to the water, the gurgling of the moving water and the splash of pink against the clouds keeping us company until all we could see were silhouettes of the trees across the water black as soot.

This was my first attempt at a Ramen bomb (Ramen with instant mashed potatoes) and we were both equally impressed! However, as filling as it was, I still unashamedly russled through my pack at midnight with my stomach growling to get and eat my Snickers.

I used the same cook system I always do as it has never given me a problem:
Snowpeak Gigastove (with igniter)
Snowpeak 450 titanium mug
Snowpeak Wind screen
Titanium pot lifter

After hours of trying to burn wet wood, we both retired to our tents around 8:30/9:00PM.

I slept wonderfully and probably would have done without the sleeping bag liner. Temperatures hit below freezing but I was never uncomfortable.

The next day was my favorite, but I believe words can't do it the slightest bit of justice so I'll just do so in my favorite pictures.
























 Although only a one-night trip totaling out at 9.5 miles, I have to say this is definitely top 3 of my favorite hikes I've done in the past almost 5 years since I started backpacking. It was so peaceful, I couldn't describe it to you if I tried.

So what's next on the docket?

I'm not quite sure, but I will tell you a repeat of this trip will definitely happen before the temperatures rise and the sun sets later ;)

Mighty Mouse

P.S. I will also be delving into the world of gear reviews/comparisons on the next trip as I want to try out the Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 and compare it to my experience with the Granite Gear Crown2 60.

1 comment:

  1. Good trip report! I loved it as well. That sunshine!!!

    ReplyDelete